The Newsletter on Astronomy Education for K-12, College, and even Home Schooling science teachers.
The Classroom Astronomer Newsletter (TCA, or TCAN) is a twice-monthly** email newsletter, or as we prefer to call it, an Inbox Magazine, covers many of the same topics as the 2009-2015 magazine, and debuted in May 2021.
**As of January 2022, it goes from 24 issues per year to 30, with alternating months being either 2 or 3 issues.
The newsletter contains:
- Articles on useful educational software.
- Regular columns like Astronomical Teachniques–tips and methods to teach specific topics, Connections to the Sky–external sources of resources or programs to help you with your instruction–and The RAP Sheet–items found in scholarly research that you can use now.
- Occasional short term columns that have been, or are running, that include a look at the astronomy standards in the NGSS–Next Generation Science Standards–and Astronomy Remotely, Internet observatories you can use.
- And sometimes other things!
Designed for use for all levels of astronomy educators, including the pandemically virtual home teachers and home schoolers, and anyone who wants more than just a “Wow, what’s up in the sky?” news briefing. Many items come from the most recent astronomy and astronomy education world conferences! Written by longtime astronomer, journalist and educator Dr. Larry Krumenaker.
Subscribe at https://ClassroomAstronomer.Substack.Com by the month or by the year. Special discount rates for Developing Nation teachers, home school teachers, and science education students (and occasionally others, or all for special events)! The free TCA Lite (which began with Issue 9) gave you about half of each Issue but as of the January 2022 issue, it is an end-of-month digest of the current month’s best material.
Here is a sample of a Full Issue!: Issue 13
On this website you’ll find an index to topics discussed, and you can find the issues’ Tables of Contents. From Issue 9, the Archive on Substack is available only to Full Issue subscribers. When you subscribe, your first issue is free before you are charged.
Prior Recent Issues
- The Classroom Astronomer Issue 15, December 16, 2021Sky Lesson–New Year’s Ecliptic Pachinko; Smartphone Simulations; Students as Teachers, Scientists;Massive Resource Collections; Drawing for Learning; TCA goes to 30 issues!; Last Chance Holidays Sale
- The Classroom Astronomer Issue 14, December 1, 2021TCA goes to 30 issues!; Eclipse Photo; Sky Lessons; IAU-Shaw–Constellations, Gravity, Tactile Galaxies, more; RAP–Gravitational Waves, Wiki Articles, Star Test; Black Hole Vid; 50% Off Holidays Sale
- The Classroom Astronomer Issue 13, November 16, 2021Eclipse Things to Do; Teachniques–Moon, Spectra; Using iTelescope, Part 1; Hubble’s Nebulae; Earth’s Eccentricity; Eclipse Subscription Special; 37.5% Black Friday Sale
- The Classroom Astronomer Issue 12, November 1, 2021Visit the Moon’s South Pole!; Teachniques–Low Tech Astro Ed–Exploring the Sun, The Earth; Astrophotography with Smartphones; Lasers, not Clickers?; Announcing ETs; 25% Sale; Discount Subscriptions
- The Classroom Astronomer Issue 11, October 16, 2021Today vs. Cosmos; Teachniques–Just Look Up!, Teaching Solar Motions; Observing Remotely; RAP Sheet; Black Friday Advance Sale
- The Classroom Astronomer Issue 10, October 1, 2021Connections: Activities Testing, SETI and World Space Week, Virtual Goddard; The Sound of a Supernova Remnant, Stellarium Activities and a Flat Moon; RAPping and Einstein’s Gravity for Primary School